When it starts to get chilly outside and the rain starts coming down we all think about what we should be doing to make sure our homes and condos are ready for the winter weather.
Here are just a couple of ideas of things around the house you might want to maintenance for the winter months:
- Service your furnace so it doesn’t go out when you really need it
- Have your fireplace and chimney serviced and cleaned to make sure it is operating correctly
- Check the weather stripping around your doors and caulking around the windows to make sure they are all sealed tight
- Replace old or worn roof tiles
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are cleared so rain water can flow away from your house properly
- make sure the downspouts divert water away from the foundation to prevent basement leaking
- Rake leaves and other debris from street gutters and drains
- Insulate exposed exterior plumbing pipes
- Move sensitive plants indoors from your decks or yards
- Prepare an emergency kit with flashlights or candles, battery backup for electronics, food and water
Hopefully this list helps you prepare so that when the winter is upon us, your house is ready to weather the storm!